Apple Carplay is a convenient smartphone integration system. It turns your car radio or head unit into an iOS device’s display as well as the controller. With Apple CarPlay, you can access your favorite iOS apps hands-free while driving. But what happens when Apple CarPlay stops working correctly? In this article, we’ll explore some possible causes and their solutions.
Common Causes for Apple CarPlay Not Working Properly
There are several reasons Apple’s CarPlay may not be working for you. These are:
- App integration issues
- A problem with the iOS update
- Infotainment System compatibility issues
- Connection Issues between your iOS device and car
How to Fix Apple Carplay Not Working Issue
Regardless of the issue, you are facing with Carplay, try the solutions below to see if it solves your problem.
Solution 1 – Check for Updates
One reason Apple CarPlay might not be working correctly is if you’re not running the latest version of iOS or using an older iPhone. Remember, Carplay became available on iPhone models beginning with iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1 or a newer version. If you are using an older version, Carplay won’t work. Open the Settings app and tap General -> Software Update to check for updates. If an update is available, tap Download and Install.
Solution 2 – Check Settings
Another potential reason Apple Carplay isn’t working is because of incorrect settings. To check your settings, open the Settings and tap General -> CarPlay. Make sure that CarPlay is turned on and that your car is selected. If it is, you should disable and re-connect your car to the app.
Solution 3 – Remove any restricted access
If you’re using Apple CarPlay in a country where it’s not yet available, you might not be able to use all of its features. To check if Apple CarPlay is available in your country, open the Settings app and tap General -> Restrictions. If Apple CarPlay is not listed, it’s not available in your country. Another easy way to check whether your vehicle is compatible with Apple Carplay is to look for the Carplay logo on your display.
Solution 4 – Check your connection
If Apple CarPlay is still not working, the problem might be with your connection. In that case, there are two scenarios:
- If you’re using a USB cable to connect your iPhone to your car, ensure the cable is securely plugged in on both ends. The USB cable can also be faulty. Therefore, you should try connecting again with a different USB cable. Try changing USB ports as well – sometimes the dust hinders a stable connection. Modern cars come with multiple USB connections, but not all of them would work. Try each available port one by one.
- If you use a wireless connection, ensure your iPhone is within range of your car’s infotainment system. After that, make sure both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are turned ON. To check your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and Settings > Bluetooth.
Solution 5 – Make Sure CarPlay has no restrictions on Screen Time
Sometimes Carplay gets disabled in Screen Time. To make sure there is no Carplay restriction on Screen Time, go to the main Settings page and tap the Back Arrow twice. After that, tap on Screen Time to see whether your iOS device is using Screen Time.
If you are using Screen Time, go to Content & Privacy Restrictions. Tap on Allowed Apps and ensure CarPlay is Enabled. Swipe it to the right to enable Carplay, as you can see in the image below.
Solution 6 – Incompatible Infotainment System
Another possibility behind Carplay not working is that your car’s infotainment system is incompatible with Apple CarPlay. While most newer cars support Apple CarPlay, some older models don’t. If your car’s infotainment system isn’t compatible with Apple CarPlay, there’s not much you can do other than buy a new car or upgrade your infotainment system.
Solution 7 – Turn on Siri
Check your phone to ensure Siri is Turned On. CarPlay needs Siri to work. If Siri is turned off, go to your phone’s Settings and tap on Siri & Search. Make sure you have enabled the following options.
- “Hey Siri” (Check if you can listen for it)
- “Siri When Locked” (This is the feature most people miss because it’s not always enabled for most iPhone users)
Solution 7 – Forget and re-establish the connection
If you have used this device with CarPlay before, sometimes removing and re-connecting it also solves Apple Carplay not working problem. To forget and re-establish your connection, go to:
Settings > General > Carplay > (Your Car name) > Forget This Car
Once you tap on Forget This Car, restart your car as well as the iOS device to re-establish the connection.
Solution 8 – Allow CarPlay While Locked
Now, this is another crucial setting that most people miss. You have to enable Carplay when your iPhone’s screen is locked to ensure CarPlay works fine. To do this, follow the instructions below:
- Go to the Settings app
- Tap on General
- Next, tap on Carplay
- Find the name of your car in the list of all the connected vehicles
- Finally, allow “CarPlay while Locked” by turning it ON. Swipe the button to the right.
Solution 9 – Check your car firmware
Is your Carplay Stereo using the latest firmware from your car manufacturer? Check whether a firmware update is available for your stereo. Remember, Carplay won’t work with a car that uses older firmware. Check your vehicle manual or contact the car manufacturer for more information.
Solution 10 – Contact Apple Support
It may be some unique problem if you are still having issues connecting Carplay with your iOS device. Therefore, the final option is to contact Apple Support. They are available 24/7 to solve your issues.
Apple Carplay has become an integral part of driving. According to Apple’s website, all the major vehicle manufacturers use Carplay to ensure safe rides. So, when Apple Carplay stops working, you know you can try these solutions above and get it fixed instead of wondering why Apple Car Play not working. We hope this information comes in handy whenever your car play stops functioning. Good luck!
Apple CarPlay Not Working – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is my Apple CarPlay not working?
Your Apple Carplay may not be working due to a number of compatibility, connection, settings, and update issues. Please read our article above to get the whole picture.
How to set up Apple Carplay on my Subaru?
Follow our instructions below to connect your Subaru infotainment system with Carplay.
- Get an Apple Lightning-to-USB cable and connect your iOS device to Subaru. You can find the USB port just below the infotainment screen.
- On your Subaru screen, you will get a prompt asking for permission. Tap on Yes to enable Apple CarPlay.
- Now, on your iOS device, select Allow to enable Apple CarPlay.
- Congratulations, you have successfully connected your device and Subaru infotainment system with Apple CarPlay.
Why is Carplay not working on my Honda Civic?
There can be several reasons why it’s not working on your vehicle. Check online whether your vehicle is compatible with Carplay and whether the feature is available in your region. If your Honda Civic model (or any other vehicle) is compatible and you live in an area where this feature is available, check our ten solutions above to troubleshoot this problem.